Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Breath of the Mountain

   So I guess you can see that I like using pieces that I'm familiar with and that I have a connection to.  This piece hangs in my family's dinning room.  We have hosted international students from around the world that come and study at the University of Delaware. As a host family we have the responsibility to help an international student learn English and to show them the history and culture of the American people in this area. Many of the students like to give us a gift from their country.   This is from a Chinese student my parents had back in 1983.   This is actually a woven silk piece. The bottom photo is of the writing that is on the right of the picture.  It translates to "On top of Yellow Mountain".


    As you can guess this is not a piece from the time that we talked about in class. This would be sold to tourists over in China.  The reason I picked this is that it reminds me of the brevity breath we finished talking about in class last Tuesday.  I love this piece because  of that brevity and the life of nature that it has in it.  With the way the mist goes through the mountain and the closeness with the sky, it just makes you feel like you could touch the heavens if you were there. When looking at this you can also get this sence of a deep feeling that lies beyond the mountain. Which I think is captured brilliantly in this.

3 comments:

  1. How beautiful! You are luck to get this as gift. A woven silk piece is usually expensive. I would like to upload my bird woven silk piece which was also from China to share with you! (I will take a picture, and put on my blog in soon) It is wonderful how they created fog by weaving. The pine grove, fog, mountain ocean(river? because some river size of China is like ocean) and sky already made me relex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this picture woven into the weave of the silk or is it painted onto the silk? We can tell this is not directly from the time period since it contains much color. The vastness of space is quite evident though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that this was given to your family as a gift. It also seems to be very detailed and made out of luxurious woven silk, which would most likely come from an export place, such as China. It could also relate to a narrative if there was more to go by.

    ReplyDelete